Known as the “Gateway Church of Christ” for the first 50 years, Sunday, November 18, 1956 marked our first service. The congregation was formed from a nucleus of 16 adult members from the Boulevard Church of Christ in Charleston. These 16 adults lived in the St. Albans – Nitro Area. They met in the church building at the corner of Church and B Streets which was purchased from St. Andrew Methodist Church. Clinton Looney, minister of Boulevard Church of Christ, served both churches for a few weeks until the first fulltime minister, Norman Ward, was hired in January 1957.
In 1976 the original property was sold to the Urban Renewal Authority for the Loop Development Project. The congregation was relocated to our present site just one-half block north and built a new sanctuary and educational wing at 422 B Street. Since that time a Family Life Center/Gymnasium was added in 1999, a Children’s Ministry Area wing in 2006, the bottom level of which served as an overflow seating area for adult worship until we were able, by God’s blessing, to complete our current worship center in 2010, a 20,000 s.f. multi-purpose facility which is being used for God’s glory to help us live out our Vision to Love God, Love People, and Serve God by Serving People.